• 1980

    The 1980's were an era in which St. Pauls experienced rapid growth in membership, attendance at worship, and church school attendance.

  • 1981

    Pastor Trost retires as senior pastor.

    German language services are reduced from weekly to twice a month and, later, once a month; Dr. Rudolf Schade and, later, Dr. Wilhelm Linss, serve as preachers at the German services.

  • 1982

    Congregation calls Thomas Henry as Senior Pastor on March 1.

  • 1982

    1982 Pastoral Team

    Glenn Loafmann becomes an associate pastor, and Carol Munro becomes St. Pauls' first female associate pastor.

  • 1983

    Gospel Music Sundays begin.

  • 1985

    Lincoln Park Shelter for the Homeless is founded by St. Pauls, Lincoln Park Presbyterian, St. Clements Catholic and Church of Our Saviour Episcopal churches.

  • 1985

    St. Pauls choir and musicians present Amazing Grace Concert of Gospel Music on November 13.

  • 1989

    Church Sign

    New bylaws change the church’s name to "St. Pauls United Church of Christ"

  • 1989

    Rainbow Comma

    Congregation votes to officially become an Open and Affirming church, welcoming people without regard to sexual orientation.

  • 1990

    Uhlich Basketball

    Basketball for Kids program begins on Saturday mornings; youth of St. Pauls play opposite youth of Uhlich Home.

    Also in 1990, Saturday morning Bible study class, Kerygma, meets for the first time; Children's Christmas Eve Services begin; Religion and Arts committee conducts Friday Evening Programs.

  • 1991

    Courtyard Bell

    Church building becomes accessible to the physically disabled; during construction, workers use a crane to lift the 1893 church bell that survived the 1955 fire and place it on a permanent display platform in the courtyard.

  • 1991

    Randy Deckworth becomes new Associate Pastor after Pastor Loafmann resigns.

  • 1993

    CTS Logo

    "Thomas and Colleen Henry Scholarship Fund" is established at Chicago Theological Seminary.

  • 1993

    Sam Hill

    Sam Hill Music Fund is established.

  • 1993

    150th Anniversary

    St. Pauls celebrates its 150th Anniversary on Oct. 23-24.

  • 1996

    Wilhelm Linss leaves, after leading the German language services for 11 years.

    The chapel at Uhlich Home is dedicated to Rev. Fred Traut and Virginia Traut.

  • 1997

    St. Pauls launches its first Website.

  • 1998

    Frauen Verein in 1950

    German speaking women's group, Frauen Verein, meets for the last time.

  • 1998

    Back Bay Mission Logo

    St. Pauls holds a shrimp boil to benefit Back Bay Mission.

  • 1999

    How Sweet the Sound

    First annual "How Sweet the Sound" fall gospel sing/concert takes place.

    Also in 1999, St. Pauls sponsors a family arriving from Kosovo.